Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Barry Lee Harwood

Please check out Barry Lee Harwoods website.
Barry Lee Harwood
I Still listen to Rossington Collins Band every all the time, reckon I always will.

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Frynds of Animals


Frynds of Animals Myspace

Stan Williams MySpace

Great News for Pets!
ASHEVILLE — Buncombe County and several animal welfare organizations recently announced an ambitious plan to put an end to the euthanization of all healthy animals in the county.
Read the entire article in the Asheville Citizen Times online.
They are also offering lower cost spaying and neutering until the end of this year , details in the article HERE

In related news, an ad in the Graham Star newspaper in Robbinsville NC, in the westernmost region of the state says that they offer Free spaying and neutering for pets. Way to go Robbinsville!
The Graham Star website is HERE
But much of the Newspapers content doesn't seem to be online yet.

Thursday, February 22, 2007

Animal Welfare






Chocolate toxicity


Chocolate contains theobromine, a compound that is a cardiac stimulant
and a diuretic.


When
affected by an overdose of chocolate, a dog can become excited and
hyperactive. Due to the diuretic effect, it may pass large volumes of
urine and it will be unusually thirsty. Vomiting and diarrhoea are also
common. The effect of theobromine on the heart is the most dangerous
effect. Theobromine will either increase the dog’s heart rate or may
cause the heart to beat irregularly. Death is quite possible,
especially with exercise.


After their pet has eaten a large
quantity of chocolate, many pet owners assume their pet is unaffected.
However, the signs of sickness may not be seen for several hours, with
death following within twenty-four hours.


Cocoa powder and
cooking chocolate are the most toxic forms. A 10-kilogram dog can be
seriously affected if it eats a quarter of a 250gm packet of cocoa
powder or half of a 250gm block of cooking chocolate. These forms of
chocolate contain ten times more theobromine than milk chocolate. Thus,
a chocolate mud cake could be a real health risk for a small dog. Even
licking a substantial part of the chocolate icing from a cake can make
a dog unwell.


Semi-sweet chocolate and dark chocolate are the
next most dangerous forms, with milk chocolate being the least
dangerous. A dog needs to eat more than a 250gm block of milk chocolate
to be affected. Obviously, the smaller the dog, the less it needs to
eat.














The danger of macadamia nuts


Macadamia nuts are another concern. A recent paper written by Dr. Ross
McKenzie, a Veterinary Pathologist with the Department of Primary
Industries, points to the danger of raw and roasted macadamia nuts for
pets.
The toxic compound is unknown but the affect of macadamia nuts is to cause
locomotory difficulties. Dogs develop a tremor of the skeletal muscles,
and weakness or paralysis of the hindquarters. Affected dogs are often
unable to rise and are distressed, usually panting. Some affected dogs
have swollen limbs and show pain when the limbs are manipulated.
Dogs have been affected by eating as few as six macadamia kernels (nuts
without the shell) while others had eaten approximately forty kernels.
Some dogs had also been given macadamia butter.

Luckily, the muscle weakness, while painful, seems to be of short duration and all
dogs recovered from the toxicity. All dogs were taken to their
veterinary surgeon.
Pets owners should not assume that human
food is always safe for pets. When it comes to chocolate, onions,
garlic and macadamia nuts, such foods should be given in only small
quantities, or not at all. Be sure that your pets can’t get into your
stash of chocolates, that food scraps are disposed of carefully to
prevent onion and garlic toxicity and that your dog is prevented from
picking up macadamia nuts if you have a tree in your garden.



Some other potential dangers are
  • Pear
    pips, the kernels of plums, peaches and apricots, apple core pips
    (contain cyanogenic glycosides resulting in cyanide posioning)

  • Potato peelings and green looking potatoes

  • Rhubarb leaves

  • Mouldy/spoiled foods

  • Alcohol

  • Yeast dough

  • Coffee grounds, beans & tea (caffeine)

  • Hops (used in home brewing)

  • Tomato leaves & stems (green parts)

  • Broccoli (in large amounts)

  • Raisins and grapes

  • Cigarettes, tobacco, cigars






  • Onion and garlic poisoning




    Onions and garlic are other dangerous food ingredients that cause
    sickness in dogs, cats and also livestock. Onions and garlic contain
    the toxic ingredient thiosulphate. Onions are more of a danger.

    Pets affected by onion toxicity will develop haemolytic anaemia, where the
    pet’s red blood cells burst while circulating in its body.

    At first, pets affected by onion poisoning show gastroenteritis with
    vomiting and diarrhoea. They will show no interest in food and will be
    dull and weak. The red pigment from the burst blood cells appears in an
    affected animal’s urine and it becomes breathless. The breathlessness
    occurs because the red blood cells that carry oxygen through the body
    are reduced in number.


    The poisoning occurs a few days after the
    pet has eaten the onion. All forms of onion can be a problem including
    dehydrated onions, raw onions, cooked onions and table scraps
    containing cooked onions and/or garlic. Left over pizza, Chinese dishes
    and commercial baby food containing onion, sometimes fed as a
    supplement to young pets, can cause illness.

    Onion poisoning can
    occur with a single ingestion of large quantities or with repeated
    meals containing small amounts of onion. A single meal of 600 to 800
    grams of raw onion can be dangerous whereas a ten-kilogram dog, fed 150
    grams of onion for several days, is also likely to develop anaemia. The
    condition improves once the dog is prevented from eating any further
    onion

    While garlic also contains the toxic ingredient
    thiosulphate, it seems that garlic is less toxic and large amounts
    would need to be eaten to cause illness.